Monday, May 19, 2014

Fishing Log: Lake Marion -- Lakeville, MN

On the morning of Sunday, May 18th, I awoke to bright sunny skies, a slight breeze, and temperatures in the 60's and rising. A perfect morning to try for some pike, or so I thought. Lake Marion is a 530 acre lake with a reputation for being dominated by northern pike and bluegill, with large numbers of largemouth as well. After finding topography maps for the lake, I noticed the lake is divided into two parts. The southern part of the lake is a wide pothole dropping down to an 18 foot maximum depth in the middle. The northern part of the lake is a flooded flat that maxes out at 5 feet deep and winds back through reeds and cattails for a long way, at least for a kayaker to paddle. A culvert from the main lake underneath highway 35 takes you to the shallows.

Topo Map of Lake Marion.
As I lowered my kayak off of my shoulders, I couldn't help but notice the temperature of the water around my ankles. Being May 18th, I expected the water to be at least in the high 50's, maybe low 60's. Also, a late spring and streak of cold rains the week prior to me fishing caused me to plan for dealing with colder temperatures than that. I planned to fish the shallower water on the northern side of the lake, as that would get the most sun and warm fastest. However, nothing could have prepared me for how cold that water was going to be. I didn't have a temperature gauge with me, so I can only give an estimate, but I would have to say it was no warmer that 45 degrees. Fishing the shallows was going to be more necessary than I could have possibly thought.

I paddled along the western shore from Casperson Park, reaching the shallows to the East of 35. Two other boats ended up fishing in the same bay I was, and nobody seemed to be having too much luck. I tried a myriad of lures, from Daredevle spoons, to Mepps in-line spinners, to a couple different types of Rapala jerk baits, with no results. I brought along a Joe Bucher Top Raider in baby-loon color pattern, and tried that for a moment after seeing some big shadows along the reeds. Musky season isn't quite open here, but musky aren't believed to be in Lake Marion, so I felt safe believing the shadows were large pike. No bites or follows to be found from those shadows though. A closer inspection as I paddled into the reeds didn't reveal any logs or anything of the sort, so at least a few of the shadows must have been pike.

A bit later, I paddled through the culvert passing under the highway to find even more reeds and sand flats covered by 3 to 5 feet of gin-clear water. One more boat filled with 5 guys throwing large pike baits sat along a reed edge, but they brought in no fish for the hour they casted near me. Never having fished this lake before, I felt pretty proud that the two areas I wanted to target were being targeted by fellow fishermen who probably had much more experience on this body of water than myself.

Jointed Deep Husky Jerk size 12 by Rapala.
The last bay I fished contained a large shadow that I saw from a distance. After getting skunked a bit earlier with a large topwater, I figured maybe a smaller, slower presentation would be my best bet. I rigged up a size 12 jointed Down Deep Husky Jerk by Rapala in fluorescent hot-tiger pattern. With such clear water, a slightly more realistic color pattern would've been a good choice, but you can only fish with what you have in your tackle box. I chose the Husky Jerk because it has great action at super slow speeds, with a suspending nature when paused. I made several pass-through's along the reed edge with this set up. No bites or strikes to be mentioned, but on one cast I did have a confirmed follow. After making a standard 40- to 50- foot cast, I had the lure just a few feet off of my bow. I was about ready to lift the super-bright lure out of the water, when I noticed a monster swimming absolutely sluggishly just behind the lure. I paused the bait, and twitched twice, to which the pike responded with a head-turn and then a reverse back into the reeds.

I think the clear water made my lure look just a bit-too conspicuous for the big fish to strike at. Fish don't get to be 30"+ like this one without growing smart, too. Also, the freezing cold water did nothing to help the fish in terms of feeding propensity and energy. When the water is that cold, they aren't really in a summer feeding mode quite yet, at least in my experience.

The next lake I plan to fish is going to be much smaller in nature. A pond is going to warm much quicker than a bigger lake like Lake Marion. Water temperatures need to be in the 50's at least for me to have luck with my predominantly strike-based lures. Frankly, I own very few passive lures like Lindy Rigs because I find them to be boring. I'm out there to have fun, right? All in all, it was a good morning on the lake. The weather was fantastic, and the paddling was easy. I just wish the fish had cooperated a little better.

Tight lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment